Part-time Teaching Artist Fall 2014
Aperture Foundation is seeking teaching artists for a photography-based visual literacy after-school program grades 5-12. The program will run from September 2014 through May 2015.
- Teach visual literacy through photography and photobooks, using student centered, inquiry based approach.
- Practice effective, respectful classroom management.
- Participate in organizational meetings and professional development training.
- Attend to administrative duties such as timesheet submission, weekly debriefs and end of residency reports.
- Assist in preparation of year-end exhibition.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least 2 years experience working with youth in under-served communities.
- Teaching experience.
- Applicants should have a strong photography background; degree preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with art education concepts, pedagogy, and best practices.
- Self-starter, takes initiative, works well independently.
- Able to interact professionally and appropriately with staff at school location and Aperture.
- Working knowledge of digital photography, Photoshop or Lightroom, Blurb, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Epson printers.
- Ability to accept guidance, direction, and supervision; able to give feedback and share ideas appropriately and professionally.
Classes meet weekly and require a three hour time commitment per class. Teaching Artists are independent contractors engaged though seasonal contracts and commit to one or two afterschool classes per week. Partner organizations are located in Manhattan (LES and Harlem), Queens, and Brooklyn.
How to apply:
Please send a resume and cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, and how you heard about this opportunity, to email@example.com, using the following conventions:
Subject line: Teaching Artist
Cover Letter: yourfirstname_yourlastname_coverletter.doc
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. NO CALLS, PLEASE
Aperture is an Equal Opportunity Employer