Aperture is seeking a part-time Online Editor, (2.5 to 3 days per week, either as freelance or on part-time employee basis), to join Aperture Foundation’s editorial team, combining responsibility for editing our two primary online publishing projects – the forthcoming app, and the Aperture blog – as well as supporting other Aperture projects including the currently twice-yearly The Photobook Review. The position will involve working with all of Aperture’s editors, while reporting to the editor of Aperture magazine. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is passionate and knowledgeable of contemporary photography and art. The position’s part-time nature makes it ideal for an emerging or active writer, critic, or curator.
• Editing (including copyediting and proofreading) and managing the forthcoming bi-weekly Aperture app, now in development, for a wide audience of new and established photography enthusiasts, combining newly originated content (including reviews, interviews, and features drawn from activities ‘behind the scenes’ at Aperture), along with content repurposed from other Aperture products and our archives. It is the Online Editor’s responsibility to ensure that content is accurate, coherent, consistent with the Foundation’s mission, delivered on time and on budget, and uploaded on to relevant platforms with technical proficiency and accuracy.
• Editing the Aperture blog, sustaining it as a lively center of the online dialogue about photography, including managing Foundation news and other items. (From the time the Aperture app launches, the app will become the focus of new content generation).
• Managing the biannual newspaper, The PhotoBook Review, under the supervision of Lesley Martin, publisher, liaising with designers and guest editors, securing copies of the books under review, editing all texts in each issue, ensuring all photography, art assignments, translations and transcriptions are done promptly, and overseeing the budget.
• Actively contributing to the knowledge pool of the Aperture editorial team.
• Passion for Aperture’s mission.
• Bachelors Degree
• Exceptional writing, editing, copyediting, and proofreading skills.
• A minimum of three years’ editorial experience in the field of photography or contemporary art
• Demonstrates ability to package and tailor content for a diverse group of readers, especially those new to the story of photography
• Excellent knowledge of the history of photography, contemporary photographic practice, and contemporary art
• A strong network of contacts in photography
• Experience in working with new media
• Ability to work independently with minimal oversight and to thrive under deadline pressure
Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, your current/most recent salary, and how you heard about this opportunity, to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the following conventions:
Subject line: Online Editor
Cover Letter: yourfirstname_yourlastname_coverletter.doc
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. NO CALLS, PLEASE
Aperture is an Equal Opportunity Employer