Aperture is seeking a part-time Editorial Designer to provide critical support for the Foundation by typesetting and artworking reprints, copublications, buy-ins, and upcoming Aperture titles. The ideal candidate has great attention to detail; an eye for and sensitivity to type; can set up foolproof, print-ready InDesign documents with clear grids and paragraph and character styles; is proficient in copyediting and proofreading marks; and is highly organized. Working knowledge of HTML and CSS is a must; experience in converting books to e-pub format is a plus. Familiarity with the discourse around photography and contemporary art and culture is helpful. This position will report to the full-time designer.
• Setting up new files based on existing templates, or initiating new InDesign files for titles originating in-house
• Making design and text changes to interior and/or exterior of books and bluelines according to design and editorial direction
• Typesetting in-house essay books based on existing design templates
• Assisting in designing the biannual newspaper The PhotoBook Review, under the designer and publisher’s direction
• Working with full-time designer to consistently implement the Aperture brand across all departments and projects
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• Knowledge of photography preferred
• Excellent typesetting and organizational skills
• 2–3 years of design experience
• Attention to detail and ability to work independently with minimal oversight
• Ability to thrive under pressure and meet deadlines
• Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite 6 (including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver).
• Working knowledge of HTML/CSS
Minimum commitment of three days a week required.
Please send a resume, portfolio, and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position; your current/most recent salary; and how you heard about this opportunity to email@example.com, using the following conventions:
Subject line: Editorial Designer
Cover Letter: yourfirstname_yourlastname_coverletter.doc
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. NO CALLS, PLEASE.
Aperture is an Equal Opportunity Employer.