Portfolio Prize - Guidelines
Portfolio Prize – Guidelines
First prize is $3,000 and an exhibition at Aperture Gallery. The first-prize winner and up to five runners-up will be featured on Aperture’s website, where their images will be accompanied by a brief statement written by Aperture staff. All winners are announced in the foundation’s e-newsletter, which reaches forty thousand subscribers across the globe, including curators, critics, and members of the photography community. Winners will also have the opportunity to offer their prints via the Aperture Foundation limited-edition print program.
Deadline and Timeframe:
• The 2014 Portfolio Prize is now closed. Stay tuned for the announcement of the results in April. All information about the 2015 Portfolio Prize will be posted in September 2014.
• $75 entry fee includes one annual individual membership in Aperture’s new membership program and covers entrance into the 2014 Portfolio Prize competition and the new, annual Summer Open exhibition.
If you are current member of Aperture Foundation through our official membership program summarized here, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a discount code that will waive the entry fee. Please note this does not apply to previous Café account holders or to Aperture magazine subscribers.
Your support as a new Aperture Foundation member is integral to our publishing, education, and public programs. Membership starts at $75 annually and includes invitations to special events, exclusive discounts on Aperture publications, and opportunities to meet artists and engage with leaders in the photo community. Membership is tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
For more information on membership benefits, visit aperture.org/join.
How to Enter:
To enter, starting on Monday, September 30, 2013, go to callforentry.org, where you will find a link to the Aperture Portfolio Prize competition along with step-by-step instructions on how to register. This user-friendly process was developed specifically for artists by the Western States Arts Federation. Once you are registered, you will be asked to provide the following:
• Four-digit membership ID number
• Statement of up to 250 words about your work
• 15 images with title/caption information
If you are already a member, to receive your membership ID number, along with a discount code that will waive the entry fee, contact email@example.com.
If you are a new member, please enter ’0000′ when asked for your membership ID number.
Artists may submit up to two separate portfolios of 15 images each. A separate CAFÉ profile and application, filed under the same name and contact information, is required for each entry. A $25 fee must be paid for each additional entry. To receive a discount code adjusting the entry fee for second portfolios, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
When examining competition entries, Aperture’s editors and curatorial staff will consider the following criteria:
• Is the work new, e.g., created in the last five years?
• Is a theme or topic carried throughout the portfolio in a consistent manner?
• Are the individual images strong compositionally and in their use of color or tone?
• What technical and presentation choices has the photographer made, and are they appropriate for the work? For example, is there a clear reason for using sepia-toned black and white versus a digitally enhanced palette?
• Does the body of work take an innovative or unique approach to the subject matter?
Aperture reserves the right to reject entries that are not submitted properly. Submissions should come directly from artists, not from galleries or representatives. Again, no exceptions will be made for late submissions. Please allow ample time to complete your entry.
Contact email@example.com with any questions.